Entrepreneurs are on the ultimate quest to discover best practices. Naturally, with new clients, most want to know “How do other gyms handle apparel?” After hundreds of consultations, here is what most people do:
- They don’t preorder. They order 150 shirts when their membership is only 100 members “just in case we grow”.
- They don’t order with purpose. Specifically, they are randomly ordering “stuff” because they haven’t ordered in a while.
- They are selling their shirts for no profit because “apparel is free marketing”.
Now, if you want to be more specific: “How do your clients handle apparel?”
- They are consistent with the preorder. They collect the money up front. They order limited inventory and order only the most popular sizes.
- They are on an apparel plan. They have a strategy as to when to order and to take advantage of key times throughout the year to sell apparel. For example, offering a Murph shirt as a way to get a definite headcount for the event. Also, having a hoodie designed and ready to preorder in anticipation of the first cold Fall morning. These items are offered with purpose and our clients are confident knowing when to order so they are never behind.
- Finally, they have a purpose for the profit from their shirts. They are not depositing it into a big account where the money gets mixed with everything else. They know the profit from their shirts goes towards a staff retreat, extra loan payment, or member appreciation party.
If you’re ready to get on an apparel plan and really organize your retail, reach out and schedule a call today.